Moose

Moose

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thank you to ALL our Vets

Today at the Lions Club we had a presentation from Central Missouri Honor Flight.  If you aren't aware of them, their only goal is to honor our veterans by making sure they get to go to see the memorials in Washington DC and also to make sure they get the thanks they need.  Right now, their focus is on the World War II vets as they want to make sure they get as many of them honored, while they are still around, as they can.  However they will be looking at veterans from later wars after they feel they have taken care of as many WWII vets as they can.

As I sat back listening to them talk about this trip and all they do to make sure these American heroes get the thanks they so richly deserve, I found myself deeply touched.  These humble men, who are now the grandfathers and great grandfathers of our generation went off to fight a war for our freedom and when they came back to the states, so many of them came back to small town America to no parades, no fan-fair, and no ceremonies so to speak.  Sure.. there were parades in the larger cities, but for most of our WWII heroes, they came home... returned to their jobs and may have gotten a "it's good to have you back".  This group, which is part of the National Honor Flight program is simply doing everything they can to catch these heroes while they are still alive and take them to Washington for a day to thank them properly.  They do all of this without government funding  through donations from people who want to do SOMETHING to thank them.  They have a web site http://centralmissourihonorflight.com/ if you want to learn more.

One thing that stood out to me, as they were talking is something small, yet HUGE at the same time.  If you have ever been to DC to the tomb of the unknown soldiers, you will notice that everything is exact, and precise and un-altered.  Take the time to read up on the requirements to be on that duty if you want to read something amazing.  Anyway, when the soldiers walk their paces guarding the tomb they do 21 steps, wait 21 seconds, click their heals three times.. etc... not to be altered.  HOWEVER, when an honor flight is there for the changing of the gaurd... the commander apparently scuffs his heal three times (out of protocol) during the process as a special salute to the honor flight heroes.  THAT is COOL!!

That being said, I realize it has been a while since I have taken the time to properly thank ALL of those who have taken the charge to join he armed forces.  I never joined the military and have often carried a little guilt in that fact.  However, in the brochure today, I saw a quote from Will Rogers which makes me feel better and fits how I feel.  The quote is "We can't all be heroes.  Some of us have to stand on the curb and clap as they go by."  I think that sums up the way I feel very well.  I may not have served, but I will stand till the day I die to defend those who have served and will try to take every opportunity to thank them for their sacrifice which allowed me to make the choices I made which didn't include serving.

If you know a WWII vet, please make them aware of the honor flight.  The cost is absolutely free to them.  They won't even take donations from a WWII vet, because they feel the WWII vets have given enough.  From what I heard and saw today, including testimonies from a couple WWII vets who are in the club today, it is something you want them to experience while they still can.

If you know a veteran of the armed forces or a current soldier, take a moment today to say thank you.  Their sacrifice is why we are free.  Regardless of your political opinions regarding what we have done or are doing, these men wake up every day obeying the orders with one purpose in mind... to protect and serve.

To all of you who have served or are serving.... I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I owe you a debt of gratitude which I will never be able to fully repay!

God Bless America!!

No comments:

Post a Comment